Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Different View of Food

Last night as I was making dinner (grilled shrimp, pasta with sauce, sauteed spinach), Big J asked me if I wanted a glass of wine. I hadn't thought about it until he asked. Unusual, I know. But last Monday we, again, started the detox plan that I tried a couple times before (see this post and this post) and which I failed miserably at (see this post and then this post). This time I'm on day six of no alcohol, dairy, processed foods, or refined sugars. The good news: I've made it this far. The full-disclosure: I've had a little dairy in the form of a couple tablespoons of 1% milk in tea (I had a super bad headache and needed the comfort drink!) and a Siggi drinkable yogurt (unflavored). But for the most part I've stayed away from everything required. So when Big J asked me if I wanted a glass of wine, I was a little surprised until I saw his face -- he was totally kidding.

Thankfully, Big J is doing this with me, and I have to give him kudos because he was in DC on Thursday night and went to a barbecue place and didn't have a beer. Good for him!

A note about the Siggi drinkable yogurt -- it might be one of the best sources of protein I've found. The unflavored has only 45 calories, but 16 grams of protein. It's great for a breakfast protein or an afternoon snack. It's a new product in Siggi line of yogurts, which, though sort of spendy, are really good and definitely healthier in terms of protein (high) and sugars (low).

Even though this hasn't been easy, it's given me a little jolt and I'm more excited about planning meals and cooking again.

So I've spent part of the morning planning for the week and I'm trying a few new things while returning to some favorites. We're even celebrating Fat Tuesday with Skinny Red Beans and Rice courtesy of Moosewood Restaurants Low-Fat Favorites. Then on Friday little J is going to a sleepover birthday party and that is Day 12 -- Big J and I will be celebrating with dinner out and some good wine, in moderation, of course.

No comments: