Friday, May 4, 2012

Cauliflower Crust Pizza - Update

I happened across a recipe for cauliflower crust pizza and I must try it!  Fortuitously, I bought a head of cauliflower today. I am going to do a little more research, but it is definitely on my possibilities for Sunday night dinner!

Sunday, May 6 Update
I made the pizza!  It was delicious. While we ate we did a major critique.  First, little j's pizza had sauce, cheese, red peppers and mushrooms.  Our pizza had fresh mozzarella, sliced tomatoes and pesto.  None of us cared for the pizza with sauce.  It just seemed to clash with the crust.  Maybe it was the sauce. But I think it was the whole thing just generally.  We all loved it with pesto, even little j who doesn't love pesto. 

Interestingly, little j originally though that the crust was made from cornmeal.  When we told her it was cauliflower she was surprised, but thought it was good. 

I followed the recipe from the above blog pretty closely.  The only difference was that I used two eggs instead of three.  I included garlic powder and Parmesan cheese in the mix and next time I think I would add a bit more garlic powder or perhaps brush with garlic oil.

A quick note on almond flour -- it's expensive!  Like $12/pound expensive!  So I did a little internet recon and ended up making my own.  I bought a little over a cup of slivered blanched almonds and processed them in the blender until they became a powder, but before they turned into almond butter.  Then I put them in my flour sifter and sifted into a bowl.  It took about 10 minutes all together, and totally worth the cost savings.

I do have some leftover cauliflower and I'm thinking about making cauliflower rice later this week.


No comments: