Saturday, June 2, 2012

Canning Season!

I've done two canning projects the last two weekends and I am itching to do more!  Last weekend we went cherry picking and I made jam.  I've made jam before but I used pectin and this year I wanted to try it without.  It was a little tougher with the cherries since they are low in pectin, but I added lemon juice, lemon zest and a handful of dried cranberries.  It worked since it set up, although it took a bit longer than I anticipated.  It turned out great and little j was licking the test plate.

Today at the farmers' market we came across pickling cucumbers so we bought 3.5 pounds and I made bread and butter pickles.  I'd never made pickles before, so it was a new process, but pretty easy.  One thing I realized is that I didn't pack the jars tight enough.  I don't think it is a major issue, but it's something to be mindful of.

We are headed to Oregon next week and I was thinking about my grandmother's pickle crock.  I loved making pickles when I was a girl and I would love to get the crock and show little j the process.  Bread and butter pickles are quick pickles and have few steps.  But really good sweet or dill pickles take time, and the results are oh so good!

No comments: