Monday, September 26, 2011

Quick Chicken Soup Update

Tonight when I was getting ready to make chicken soup, I realized I didn't have enough stock in the freezer.  Not a problem! 

Typically, the stock I make takes about 8 hours, but if you don't have the time you can just throw a couple of chicken breasts (boneless, skinless) in a pot and cover them with water.  Add a stock of celery and a medium size carrot, both broken into quarters, and then half an onion, also quartered (I don't even peel the carrot or remove the onion skin -- just give everything a good wash).  Finally, add a bay leaf and salt to taste.  Bring to a boil and simmer for half an hour.  Remove the chicken and vegetables.  Set aside the chicken for shredding and discard the vegetables.  Strain the broth through a fine mesh strainer and there is the base for your soup! 

If you like a bit more concentrated flavor, let the stock (with everything in it) go a little longer to reduce.

No comments: