Sunday, September 25, 2011

Dinner Stride

I think I am finally hitting my stride with weekly dinners.  There are still glitches, especially when something unexpected comes up, but generally I am feeling better about cooking.  In the past when Big J has been out of town little j and I just ate whatever and I didn't really plan.  Now that he is gone for four dinners a week every week, I have found that I do need to be more deliberate.  Plus with our crazy busy schedules it just makes things easier.

The other thing I've done the last couple Sundays is to make two dinners. One for us to eat that day and another for Big J to take part of and me to use on Wednesday evenings after my class.  That has really helped plan things out.  Additionally it means that I have lunches throughout the week and I have less to do in the morning to prep for work.

I've also been really trying to use the slow cooker at least once a week.  On Tuesdays little j has riding team from 3:30 - 6:30, so it is a little tough to cook dinner.  The slow cooker really helps.

Also a big help: little j is becoming a bit more adventurous in her eating.  For example, I am planning to make pasta with sausage and red grapes this week.  In the past, little j would have completely turned up her nose and insisted on having plain pasta.  But when I mentioned the dish this morning she thought it sounded good.  That makes my life infinitely more interesting in terms of food and cooking.

No comments: