Saturday, January 31, 2009

Emergency Chocolate Cake

I normally only bake when there is a special event, but I made an exception today because 1) Big J is leaving tomorrow for 10 days, and 2) I've been wanting to make this cake since I read the recipe. The cake, in the March/April 2009 issue of Cook's Illustrated, is based on a wartime cake developed when butter and eggs were in short supply.

And how do the butter and eggs get replaced you ask? Mayonnaise. Yes, it's true. Ordinarily I wouldn't even consider a chocolate cake recipe, but this was too intriguing to pass up.

It took me less than ten minutes to put the batter together. It bakes in about 30 minutes. And, friends, it is delicious! It has a deep chocolate flavor and is incredibly moist and tender. This is one chocolate cake I can get behind!

No comments: