Monday, February 2, 2009

Lima Beans with Wild Mushrooms and Chard

This easy lima bean dish was vegetarian meal number three for the week and while both Big J and I liked it, I think we could agree that it needed some tinkering (and no, tinkering does not include meat!).

I actually just had a bowl of leftovers for lunch and it was much more flavorful than it was the first time. The downside is that the card was a little sad looking (read: drab green).

I actually had a tough time finding the large dried lima beans and had to buy "Christmas" lima beans. I assume all lima beans taste the same. In any case, the recipe also calls for 3-1 1/2 oz packages of dried mixed mushrooms. A little too spendy for That Girl's budget, so I bought one package (1 oz) and then supplemented with fresh criminis. I can't say that it affected the taste all that much.

One other change I would make would be to up the spice factor. Today the 1/4 tsp. of red pepper flakes was more evident, but when I made the dish originally it was practically non-existent. I think I would increase it to at least a 1/2 teaspoon. Also, it might work to add a piece of Parmesan rind to the pot as the beans cook.

The nice thing about this dish was the hearty earthiness of the mushrooms. I can't ever remember cooking dried lima beans, so that was a nice addition to our menu.

Will this become a keeper? I'm not exactly sure, I can see making it once or twice during the winter.

No comments: