Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Healthy and Inspired

Last night I wasn't quite sure what I wanted to do for dinner. little j wanted eggs, I wanted wild rice. I needed a vegetable. I was thinking about the Spinach Rice Gratin I made a while back, but I didn't want to turn on the oven, so as I was skimming through other recipes over at 101 Cookbooks, I came across Heidi's Poached Eggs Over Rice -- inspired! I had some leftover wild rice that I mixed with dried cranberries and ate for lunch...yummy!

Using my tried and true method of digging around in the refrigerator and pantry, here's my version:

Wild Rice with Spinach, Mushrooms, Avocado, and Poached Egg

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, minced
12 (or so) mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
2 cups steamed spinach
2 cups cooked wild rice
2 poached eggs
1 avocado sliced thin

Heat saute pan with olive oil over medium heat. Add minced shallot and saute until softened and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and saute 5 - 7 minutes, until mushrooms are just beginning to give up their juices. Add spinach and wild rice, mix and heat until warmed through.

Meanwhile, poach 2 eggs to desired consistency.

Divide the rice, mushroom, and spinach mixture between two bowls, top each with an egg and sliced avocado.

Serves 2.

1 comment:

Crafty Mama said...

sounds pretty good to me! I'd try that.