Sunday, September 14, 2008

Mid-September and Way Too Hot for Cooking

I thought that we had survived summer without a major hot spell. Apparently the weather was just waiting until we were ready for fall to give us two days of high temperatures and oppressive humidity (the heat index was 105 today...not good). In planning our weekly meals I considered a roast chicken, but I just didn't want to have the oven on that long. Then I remembered the amazing (and I am not exaggerating in the least) tomatoes that Big J's co-worker brought over from the valley.

So what could be more perfect on a sweltering day than BLTs? Not much. Think lightly toasted whole wheat bread, Hellman's Mayonnaise (I'm just now remembering to call it that instead of Best Foods), crisp iceberg lettuce, Neiman's Ranch Applewood Smoked Bacon, and tomatoes so deep red and juicy that your place looks like a tomato lake before you finish your sandwich.

I rounded out the meal with a fresh romaine salad with scallions and blue cheese dressed with a lemon and shallot vinaigrette. Big J had an IPA and I enjoyed a wheat beer from our local brewery, Star Hill, little j stuck with milk.

Our evening ended with each of us teaching a short lesson: Big J taught little j and I why the wind blows; little j demonstrated her newfound understanding of cycles complete with a diagram; and I drew an illustration of how to make hard boiled eggs. Dinner theatre!

No comments: