Saturday, July 26, 2008

Recreating a Favorite, With Some Success

I really did not want to cook tonight. little j suggested we go out and then said she wanted to go somewhere to have noodles. Yeah, I don't think so. Thinking about what we had in the house and how to combine that into a pasta dish I decided to try to put together one of my favorite dishes from Foley Station in La Grande, Oregon. The dish, Smoked Salmon Gemelli, was always one of my top choices with its rich sauce of salmon, tomatoes, and probably something else that I don't remember. Here's my recreation which turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself.

Cavatappi with Salmon, Tomatoes, & Capers
(serves 2)

1 tbs. olive oil
1/2 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup half & half
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 tbs. drained capers
1/4 lb. salmon (smoked or not, your preference)
4 oz. Cavatappi (weigh before cooking)
Parsley for garnish

Heat oil in medium sautee pan over medium heat. Add onions and sautee until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sautee an additional 30 seconds.

Add half and half to onions and garlic and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and continue to simmer until sauce is reduced and thickened.

When pasta is nearly done (about 2 minutes remaining) add tomatoes, salmon, and capers to the sauce.

Drain pasta and add to sauce, toss to coat. Place in a large, prewarmed bowl, sprinkle with minced parsley.

No comments: