Monday, July 28, 2008

Kitchen Confidential

Perhaps this post should actually be titled, "That Girl cooks but she doesn't clean!" I think I've mentioned that Big J is one amazing sous chef and kitchen cleaner. Of course he's been away for two weeks, so his services have been sorely missed. But this post is actually about our oven.

I have a confession. We have lived in this house for nearly 5 years and I have not once cleaned the oven. Now, before you totally freak out I should tell you that about a year ago we purchased a new stove. I believe that Big J cleaned our old oven a few times, and it is quite possible that he's cleaned our current oven as well. But I have never cleaned the oven. In fact, I've only cleaned an oven once in my lifetime.

So it was with some trepidation that I cleaned the oven today. And here's my issue: I really try to use "green" cleaning products, but in all honesty they don't work as well on grease. So I broke out the Easy Off oven cleaner and sprayed the oven this morning with the intent to clean it this afternoon. Did that happen? Of course not. So when I decided sort of last minute to make cornbread to go with the barbecued chicken, I realized that I'd totally forgotten.

That Girl is not getting a gold medal in house keeping. But at least I got the oven clean after dinner.

No comments: