Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco de Mayo

Imagine if the Mexican forces had not defeated the French in in 1862 we may be enjoying cassoulet and champagne instead of tacos and cervaza! But Mexican food it is, and our household is never one to shun a holiday that involves a celebration with food. I must admit, however, that I didn't do my all-out Mexican dinner because Mondays just aren't conducive to major cooking projects and we are in the midst of painting our kitchen.

Big J really, really likes tacos made with ground beef. I really, really dislike tacos made with ground beef. I found a recipe that allows some compromise. It's not really Mexican, but it's delicious and makes really good leftovers for lunch. Here it is:

Beef and Spinach Tacos

1 lb ground beef
1 Tbs chili powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
10 oz. frozen chopped spinach
1 cup salsa (your choice, I like fresh)

Brown ground beef in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Halfway through browning, add the spices and salt to taste. When beef is cooked transfer to a colander to drain off fat. Without wiping the pan add the spinach and about 1 tablespoon of water and cook spinach. Add the beef back in and then add the salsa. Cook 2 to 5 minutes or until warmed through.

Serve with tortillas and toppings of your choice. (I generally choose avocado, grated cheese such as habanero jack, tomatoes, green onion, and whatever else looks good.) I also served rancho beans on the side (365 brand...yum!)

No comments: