Sunday, May 4, 2008

Brunch Leftovers

We had a great brunch with good friends today, but we had some leftovers. I wanted to made a "southern" brunch and I remembered an article in Gourmet about southern brunch early in the year. Sure enough I found some great recipes, and one in particular for Eggs with Cream, Spinach, and Country Ham. Any recipe that calls for steeping ham in heavy cream is potentially delicious in my book. And this one was no exception. Although it was delicious, I broke the cardinal rule of hostessing which was assuming that everyone enjoys a runny egg yolk. One of our guests did not like runny yolks and the other is pregnant and due on Wednesday. So I ended up cooking theirs longer, and it probably wasn't as good. Oh well...

Along with it I served buttermilk biscuits, slow-roasted tomatoes (surprisingly yummy and totally easy), and fresh fruit with rosewater syrup. A word about the fruit: the recipe called for "Using small sharp knife, cut off peel and white pith from oranges. Working over large bowl, cut between membranes to release segments into bowl." Okay, I really, really need to work on my knife skills. It took me two oranges to get the hang of it and my last two didn't turn out that well either. But at the very least I figured out how to do it correctly.

Anyway...what does brunch have to do with dinner? The egg recipe served 8 and instead of cutting it in half I saved the leftovers and put them in a small dish to have for dinner. I also chopped up the leftover 4 tomatoes to add to it. A good addition.

No comments: