Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Beef "Lollipops"

One of the best thing about having a kid is that you get to use names for food that you wouldn't normally use -- beef lollipops is a good example. Normally I would just call them beef kabobs or beef skewers. In any case, little j rarely eats beef but tonight she made an exception and even pronounced it "yummy."

The recipe is fairly straightforward, but I deviated from the original as it appeared in The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook. I won't say the deviations were for the better because I haven't made it as written, but I was in a hurry to go pick up little j when I made the marinade so I will just say that it was very tasty as I made it. Here's the recipe:
Beef Lollipops

1 lb Top Round, about 1 inch thick
2 Tbs dark brown sugar
2 Tbs soy sauce
2 tsp grated ginger root
1 Tbs Sesame oil, or canola
1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder

Mix the last 5 ingredients in a bowl or plastic zip-top bag. Slice the beef into about 1 oz strips. Place the beef in the marinade and rest in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

In the meantime soak bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat grill or broiler. Put one beef strip on each skewer. Cook 'lollipops' for 2 to 3 minutes per side.

I served the lollipops with wild rice and roasted asparagus.

No comments: