Friday, March 21, 2008

Quesadillas All Around

Quesadillas are a staple for little j, but not so much with Big J and I. Tonight I think I might have found a recipe that will be in the regular rotation: Potato, Greens and Goat Cheese Quesadillas. The basic recipe was good, but after making it once I would do a couple tweaks here and there.

For one thing, I don't think the potatoes were quite done enough even though I cut them, in many cases, smaller than suggested and cooked them longer. I think I would actually roast them instead of steam them in the oven.

Second, I actually used Emmentaler because I forgot to ask Big J to get pepper jack at the store. I'd like to try it with the pepper jack, although I have no complaints about the cheese combo tonight.

Finally, I think I would change up the spices a bit. It calls for chili powder and I think next time I will use smoked paprika with a pinch of cayenne for heat.

All in all, it was a good dinner. little j had a plain quesadilla with tomato soup. Big J and I rounded out our meal with a simple salad of butter lettuce with oil, vinegar and Parmesan.

Oh...one note: Kudos to me for inadvertently planning a week of meals that utilized ingredients from other meals -- tonight I used the tomatilla salsa I made for the slow-roasted carnitas tacos. I'd like to claim it is because I am thrifty and on the ball...but it was a coincidence, albeit a good one.

No comments: