Sunday, January 6, 2008

Simple Sunday Dinner

Our stand-by for Sunday dinner is typically roast chicken, but since we just had that a couple days ago and I was meeting my dissertation girlfriends at 3:30 for coffee I decided to go with something pretty simple: Ginger Shrimp and Soba Noodles from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. Definitely a make-again recipe with one modification.

The recipe said to sautée the shrimp in the juice of one lemon, 2 minced cloves of garlic and 1 tablespoon of sesame seed oil. Easy enough. But then it doesn't say whether to keep the shrimp in the sauce or to remove them. So, I kept them in. Unfortunately, the lemon overpowered the sauce (soy, sherry, apple juice) that was made to accompany the dish. When we took a bite the complex flavors were briefly evident but were overpowered by the tartness of the lemon. Next time I will definitely remove the shrimp ffom the sautée sauce with a slotted spoon, dump the sauce, then combine the cooked noodles, shrimp, broccoli and soy-sherry-apple sauce and heat.

Regardless...a good meal with enough leftovers for both Big J and I for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: