Monday, January 7, 2008

Monday Mushroom Polenta Pie

Tonight we had Mushroom Polenta Pie, a favorite that I adapted from the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. It is essentially polenta topped with a mixture of sautéed mushrooms, chard, onions and garlic, sprinkled with Parmesan and then baked for about 20 minutes. I like to serve it with Mario Batali's marinara sauce that I keep on hand. I accompanied the dish with a simple salad of arugula, Tuscan olive oil, red wine vinegar, course fresh ground pepper and shaved Parmesan.

Along with a sliver of the mushroom polenta pie, little j had a dish of peas, a tortilla and homemade applesauce. I don't want people to think that I am in the habit of making her separate dishes, but I am just realistic about what she will and won't eat. I was pretty sure she wouldn't eat the main dish, but at the very least I expect her to take one bite and she usually does well with that request.

A note about the polenta pie, should you look up the recipe and be so inclined to make it: the recipe calls for the polenta to be spread in a 9"x12" pan (or something like that), I always use an 8"x8" pan so the polenta is a little thicker. I think it cuts better and makes for a heartier, and therefore smaller, portion. Also, it is essential to let it set for at least 10 minutes after you take it out of the oven. I think it goes without saying that this is a dish that works very well as leftovers. In fact, Big J and I should have enough for a couple days.

No comments: