Monday, January 28, 2008

Back In the Kitchen

After handing over dinner responsibilities to Big J for several nights I finally found my way back into the kitchen. Honestly after four 10-hour days of writing cooking dinner felt like a vacation. I missed dinner with the Js last night, so it was nice to be back at the table with them again.

I've been in the mood for a hearty bean soup lately and dinner tonight fit the bill. I adapted the recipe slightly from my go-to recipe finder Epicurious. And here it is:

White Bean and Ham Soup

3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp dried rubbed or 2 tsp fresh sage, minced
1 lb ham (from leftovers or a ham steak), cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 3/4 cups chicken stock
1 can 14.5 stewed tomatoes
2 15 oz cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
9 oz fresh spinach

Heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and sage and sautee until fragrant. Add ham, broth, tomatoes, and beans. Bring to a gentle boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes.

Serves 4.

No comments: