Sunday, February 19, 2012

Breakfast Dilemma

I don't really care for breakfast.  I think this is mostly because I always feel rushed in the morning and I don't like sweet things first thing in the morning.  I would seriously like to know who decided that breakfast was a time for sickeningly sweet foods?  Also, I don't like to eat as soon as I get up; I actually prefer to wait about an hour.  By that time I'm generally at work or doing stuff around the house.  But the thing is that I know how important breakfast is in the general scheme of overall health. 

Occasionally I will eat my planned lunch for breakfast and then have a bowl of cereal or a yogurt and some fruit for lunch.  This actually seems like a better choice in many ways.  I get plenty of protein and nothing that is particularly sweet for breakfast which tends to hold me to lunch, and I have a lighter lunch which doesn't make my overly sleepy around 2 p.m. 

I have found that I like swiss oatmeal which is often served cold with yogurt and fruit.  The nice thing is that it isn't sweet.  There is a coffee shop in town that sells swiss oatmeal and I've bought it a few times, but it seems so easy to make that I can't justify buying it too often. 

What has stumped me is how to make the oatmeal part -- should I cook it and put it in the fridge?  Should I soak the oats overnight?  What I don't want is a big gummy blob, so I need to think this through.  So I am searching out a variety of recipes and will be trying a few over the next week.  I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments: