Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Prep

It is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and I think this is the earliest I've ever started cooking. But that's a good thing.  We have family coming in tomorrow night (woohoo!) and I wanted to be as prepped as possible so we could just relax over the weekend.

I am trying a couple new recipes this year and relying on some standbys.  The new recipes include Pancetta-Sage Turkey, because really turkey AND bacon...what could be better.  We are, of course, having mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts, and gravy.  I'm going with my standby sage stuffing recipe because nothing says Thanksgiving to me like sage and cornbread.  In fact, I took the cornbread out of the oven just a few minutes ago and promptly cut a piece for little j and another for myself.  We are southern girls at heart, grandpa would be proud.

The smartest prep I am doing this year is to make pie crusts today so they have time to rest in the fridge for a full night.  I'd planned two pies: a traditional apple and a molasses and spice pumpkin, but when I asked Big J if I should do one more pie and mentioned that I was thinking of pecan he jumped on it.  So three pies it is.  The pecan pie is actually made with a wheat crust and maple syrup.  I made it last year and it is to die for. 

So the turkey stock is simmering, one pie crust is made and the other two aren't far behind.  Tomorrow will be busy, but productive.  It's always a good day when I can spend it chopping, mixing, and cooking!

No comments: