Saturday, March 12, 2011

Success!

Our twelve days are over! We are actually feeling pretty great. I've been thinking a bit about what I would take away, food-wise, from the last 12 days, there are a few things. First, I've gotten used to black coffee, so I don't think I'll go back to adding 1/2 & 1/2. I haven't missed bread that much and I'm really okay with not having sweets. These are all good things!

I did miss dairy (in fact I cheated a couple times with yogurt). I missed egg yolks. Well, eggs in general because I didn't see the sense in eating just egg whites. And I missed cheese. Even though I missed cheese I can see the sense of not eating as much cheese as I had been. But I miss having some Parmesan now and then. And I also missed wine.

A couple things about wine - Big J and I were saying that if we don't drink during the week then we can justify spending more money on wine/beer/etc on the weekends. Good point.

So this morning Big J and I sat down and planned out our weekly menu, which looks similar, in spirit, to last week's. Of course we are splurging on corned beef and cabbage and Irish soda bread on Thursday. The rest of week however we are having tuna tacos, grilled shrimp and soba noodles, chicken enchiladas, and roast chicken. The key is to keep thinking about our portions, incorporating whole grains, and lots of vegetables.

The thing is that we eat healthy food nearly all the time. But over the course of these twelve days I've discovered that I can do better. That's my big takeaway.

No comments: