Sunday, December 27, 2009

Turkey Stock - New Method

Last year I posted a roasted turkey stock recipe that has most definitely served me well. I recently read about the oven method for making stock and tried it out with a chicken carcass that I had thrown in the freezer. It was a simple and clean way to make the stock with rich flavor.

Our Christmas dinner tradition has been to smoke a turkey breast and this year, despite the remaining foot and half of snow and pouring rain, Big J outdid himself. The turkey was exceptional and even better the day after for sandwiches.

This morning I put the remaining bones (with plenty of meat) in the oven for stock. I have no idea how this stock with turn out, but I am hopeful that the smoke will impart a subtle flavor that will work well with a bean soup later this week. I'll be sure to report back.

On a related note: I really recommend holding on to bones from roasted meat. Making your own stock is actually quite simple and will make a noticeable difference in your dishes. With the oven method, it couldn't be easier to make several cups every other week to store in your freezer. When thinking about sustainable foods, it really makes sense to use every part of the food we buy.

No comments: