Monday, April 20, 2009

A Familiar Dish

Tonight I made Garlic Chicken Scampi with Arugula out of one of my go-to cookbooks, The All-Natural Diabetes Cookbook. It is a fairly simply dish that takes about half an hour to prepare. But as I was doing the prep work I realized that it was surprisingly similar to my standard "new school tuna casserole" (tuna, garlic, lemon, capers, pasta, whatever-else-is-on-hand).

The fact that it is so similar is a good thing because it gave me ideas about variations on my own dish. One thing I really liked about the scampi dish is that the chicken cooks in the oven with garlic, scallions, lemon juice and olive oil in the oven then is mixed with the pasta. Then arugula and the scallion greens are tossed in and slightly wilted.

The arugula is such a great addition. It adds a nice peppery bite. Cooking the garlic also helps mellow out the bite and spiciness.

I think this dish lends itself to some great variations. My first variation is going to be using shrimp and maybe lime in place of lemon. I think this is going to be a keeper.

No comments: