Monday, March 30, 2009

A Fortuitous Dinner

Last week I bought three lamb chops but for various reasons didn't get around to cooking them. So today, as Big J and I were planning our weekly dinners, we decided to get a couple more chops and fix them tonight.

I wasn't quite sure what I was going to do with them beyond grilling them either inside or out. I did a quick search on Epicurious and found a good sounding recipe for Spiced Lamb Chops with Mint-Mango Sauce. Fortunately, I'd picked up mangoes and a jalapeno and had mint on hand from last week. I also had all the spices with the exception of ground coriander, but I had whole coriander and made quick work of that in the spice grinder.

So I was all set. Honestly, given the amount of ingredients in this particular dish, it was amazing that I had everything on hand.

The dish came together easily. It took perhaps 15 minutes between mixing the spices and prepping and grilling the lamb. Big J and I agreed that the lamb, which I can humbly say I grilled to perfection, with it's fragrant and complex rub, was delicious. The mint-mango sauce was also good, but we didn't feel that it paired as well as we would have liked.

On the upside, we are having shrimp later this week and the sauce will be delicious with grilled shrimp.

I served the lamb with rice, a tomato and cucumber salad, and sauteed zucchini.

No comments: