Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cooking With little j

With Big J out of town for three weeks I've had to think creatively about keeping dinners interesting. little j would be happy with pasta every night. I, on the other hand, would not.

Last Christmas I gave little j a copy of Cooking Rocks! Rachel Ray 30-Minute Meals for Kids. We've made a few things out of it over the past year, but now little j is really into it. I also gave little j her own knife (thanks again Rachel Ray!) this Christmas, so she can really get into chopping, which she absolutely loves.

So when I was planning out meals for the week, little j and I went through her cookbook and she picked out three meals for the week: Alphabet Soup with Parmesan Toast Dippers, Middle Eastern Rice Bowl, and Green Noodles and Ham. We've made two dinners so far and both have been delicious, totally healthy, and food she will eat . . . even when it's mixed together!

But the best thing isn't the food, it's the time we spend together in the kitchen. She loves cooking and I love cooking with her. A lasting connection for sure.

1 comment:

Sally HP said...

That's so nice! Pre-Zoloft Nancy didn't let us within 10 feet of her cooking zone, so our memories of cooking with mommy are a little different :)