Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sometimes Simplicity is Best

I have been wanting to make scallops at home for some time and I've had my eye on a recipe for Sea Scallops with Corn Coulis and Tomatoes, however I am remembering that when you work until 5 p.m. and you want to have dinner on the table by 6:30 gourmet meals are not always an option. Even though the recipe isn't that difficult, I like to take my time when making a new recipe.

Regardless, I was really craving scallops so I stopped by the store on the way home and bought six beautiful sea scallops. I already had risotto, cauliflower and asparagus at home, so I thought it would all make for a fresh and easy meal.

I started with the risotto and prepped the asparagus for roasting, while sous chef Big J did the same with the cauliflower.

When the risotto, cauliflower and asparagus were nearly finished I patted the scallops dry, sprinkled both sides with salt and pepper and seared them on each side then lowered the heat to let them finish cooking.

Big J opened one of our "nice" bottles of wine -- a Cline Mouvedre -- and we sat down to a fresh and easy fall dinner.

No comments: