Monday, September 29, 2008

Dreaming of Cold Weather Cooking

We're in that weird weather time where the days are too warm to think about long days spent in the kitchen warmed by the oven, but the evenings have a chill that begs for something more robust and comforting than the BLT of just a couple weeks ago.

It's no secret among those who know me that I love fall and the promise of cold weather, as well as the actual cold weather. One of the things I like best about fall is the change in cooking. Yesterday I picked up one of my favorite fall vegetables: Red Kuri Squash. If you haven't had the opportunity to try this squash and you like squash, especially butternut, I highly recommend Red Kuri.

But I have also started to think about, among other things, Mario Batali's Wild Boar Ragu with Tagliatelle, braised short ribs, sweet potato souffle, jars and jars of homemade apple sauce and apple butter, fresh pumpkin pie, and of course our Thanksgiving menu. It's never too early to start planning.

Finishing the dissertation has opened up quite a chunk of time and this fall I plan on using a good bit of the time trying new recipes, canning, and planning our holiday cookies and gifts. I've been dying to make veal stock and to try a beef cheek recipe or two. And since I missed the cookies and baking last Christmas I plan to completely make up for it this year, including building an amazing gingerbread house with little j. Stay tuned for photos and bring on the cold weather!

No comments: