Friday, July 18, 2008

Food Science

The true measure of someone who is totally geeked about food and cooking is how excited they are to learn about the science behind the process. I confess, that is me. So imagine my excitement when I saw that the Food Network is going to have a new show: Food Detectives with Ted Allen. The first episode, "The 5-Second Rule," airs July 27.

But it got me thinking about why I like cooking and reading about food. I'm one of those people that needs to know "why." I once had a writing professor that assigned a five-page paper and asked for an outline the week before. When I asked if he wrote outlines for short paper and he said no, I refused, telling him that if he didn't do it himself and had no good reason for us to do it then I just wasn't going to either. Take that D.A.! (Wow, serious flashback!)

But back to cooking . . . I subscribe to Cook's Illustrated which, in addition to excellent recipes, gives a detailed accounting of the process of recipe development and, in some cases, the science behind it. Lately, I have been thinking about developing my own recipes and being the researcher that I am I can't even begin to do that unless I have references at my fingertips that tell me why I should choose one ingredient over another and how it will affect the taste and/or texture.

In the spirit of food science, here are a few resources and good reads that I recommend:
That's just scratching the surface, but it's a good start if, like me, you are a total food geek.

1 comment:

Crafty Mama said...

Oh....Alton Brown has changed how we look at food. My husband fondly refers to him as AB, as "Ginny, that's not AB-approved....you can't buy that because it's a uni-tasker!!" We love Good Eats.