Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Bit of A Celebration

I turned in my dissertation to be bound today. It is finally out of my hands. I was feeling a bit down -- a sort of empty nest thing -- so Big J suggested we go out and celebrate. At first I said no, but after a 20 minute nap I was up for it.

We chose to go to Zinc, a restuarant that's been on the C'ville scene for about a year and one that we enjoy. It has French bistro fare with a great bar. little j started celebration off with lemonade with a splash of cranberry juice. Big J chose the ever-popular gin and tonic, while I went with the Lillet Blanc, a classic aperitif which I highly recommend.

We began our meal with the cheese plate which included three generously sized selections of cheese, crostini and apple slices, and the laitue--bibb lettuce with mustard vinaigrette and chevre. For the main course the Js shared the fish and chips, which, I might add, are hands down the best fish and chips in C'ville, and I had the moules au blue (mussels in a Maytag blue cheese sauce), a decadent and incredibly delightful treat. I had a nice glass of Pinot Noir to accompany the mussels.

All in all, it was a wonderful outdoor dinner celebration with excellent food and even better company.

No comments: