Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tuna Noodle Casserole for the 21st Century

Whenever I don't know what I am going to fix for dinner or I am late starting I turn to the old standby. In the 60s this might have been known as tuna noodle casserole, but I much prefer my updated version. The basic recipe is tuna, garlic, olive oil, capers, lemon juice and zest, and pasta. The only cooking involved is the pasta although I generally warm up the tuna mixture in a 200 degree oven while the pasta cooks.

This recipe lends itself to tinkering and variation: chicken instead of tuna, the addition of steamed vegetables, a variety of herbs, different types of pasta based on what's in the pantry. Really whatever you want. As long as you have the staples you are good to go. And the big plus is that it takes only as long as it takes to boil water and cook pasta -- say, 20 minutes? Take that Rachel Ray!

No comments: