Thursday, January 3, 2008

A Dinner Prediction

Tonight I fixed a family favorite: roast chicken. During a recent visit to Polyface Farms we decided to try out some of their meats and we were not disappointed. Their pastured broilers have great flavor and taste incredibly fresh. I think we will plan to buy more since we have roast chicken so often.

Along with the chicken I made roast beats with a light sauce (simply reduced orange juice, a touch of vinegar, grated orange peel and finished with a touch of butter), sauteed spinach, and my homemade apple sauce.

And now my prediction: There are very few meals that I repeat within the course of a month, but I believe when I look back at 365 dinners there are going to be quite a few (20+?) roast chicken dinners. And I believe this for one simple reason: it's one of the easiest and versatile dinners I make.

If you haven't made roast chicken in a while I highly recommend it. I use Thomas Keller's "My Favorite Simple Roast Chicken" recipe. If you closely follow his technique you are guaranteed a delicious and succulent bird. And though it sounds a little odd, try it with a little butter -- it's so decadent it should be illegal!

No comments: