Sunday, March 30, 2014

Sugar Detox

Last weekend Big J and I were talking to to a friend who is in the midst of a 21-day sugar detox. Now, if you've read this blog in the past, you know that we've done something similar for 12 days. This is a bit more restrictive, but Big J and I both felt this would be a good thing. So for the past week I have been following this plan.  It's been fine, but I was feeling like something was a little off.  The fact that we could eat beans and rice seemed a little counterintuitive. Also no fruit!  That's a little harsh. I mean, I don't eat a lot of fruit, but not even whole fruit?

Today I did a little research and made a modification.  I picked up this book and have been reading through it today. And I'm really glad I did. For one thing, the author has 3 levels. Level 1 is the least restrictive and only allows 1/2 cup of beans. But the biggest thing for me is that levels 1 and 2 allow dairy. Yay!  Sign me up!

As of today I am making those modifications. And it's not that I drink a lot of milk, but I do like yogurt and cheese.  Although I need to recognize that although cheese is yummy, it needs to be in moderation.   But the good news is, tonight I can satisfy my pizza craving with cauliflower crust pizza, because I can use Parmesan and mozzarella.

Long term, I feel like level 2 is workable. In fact, I feel like I could be on level 2, with a few indulgences here and there, indefinitely. Also now I can include some vinegars which has been super difficult to avoid. And finally, I realized I can include one of my all-time favorite salads: spinach, avocado and grapefruit salad. I promise to add this one to the blog soon.

No comments: