Sunday, September 30, 2012

Dog Treats

Since we got Cowboy nearly two months ago I feel like we spend so much time and money at the pet store.  Quite a bit of that money is on dog treats since we are doing serious training and Cowboy is definitely food motivated. 

Could he be more adorable?
We bought some treats that are made by a local company in part because the ingredients are clear and few in number.  Cowboy really liked them, as did little j (they are made to share with owners).  So I was pretty sure I could make some myself with little problem.  I looked at the ingredients on the local treats and viewed a few recipes online.  Then I went to The New Best Recipe and looked at biscotti recipes since that is the consistency I was looking for.

They turned out okay, but perhaps a little too sweet, although I'm sure little j won't think so.  I used two eggs in this recipe and was hoping not to use eggs.  I think next time I will try them without eggs.

Also, this recipe makes a lot!  I only used 1/2 cup of the dough and we probably have 4 dozen treats.  I rolled the remaining dough out, wrapped them individually in wax paper and put them in a freezer bag and placed in the freezer for later.  They should slice up easily and bake without much added time.

A good size, but also easy to break into 2 or 3 pieces.  Cowboy gave them enthusiastic tail wags!

Cowboy's Carob Crisps


7 tbs canola oil
1 cup brown sugar
11 oz rice flour
6 oz rolled oats
2 eggs lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup carob chips (DO NOT SUBSTITUTE CHOCOLATE CHIPS - THEY ARE TOXIC TO DOGS!)

Heat oven to 350°

Mix canola oil and brown sugar until well combined.  Beat in eggs one at a time.  Add vanilla.   Add rice flour and rolled oats until just combined. Mix in carob chips.

Use approximately 1/4 cup and shape into a 1/4 inch log.  Slice in 1/4 inch pieces and shape into rounds.  Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.  There is no need to leave much space since these won't spread.

Bake for 20-25 minutes.  Cool on baking sheet.


No comments: