Monday, August 29, 2011

Creative Bag Lunches

I've been really good about taking my lunch all summer, in part because there isn't much open on Grounds during the summer, but also because it is such a major expense to buy lunch every day. Plus I just eat healthier when I take my lunch. Here's the thing -- I really dislike sandwiches, especially deli meat sandwiches. It goes back to a single childhood incident involving a bologna sandwich that is forever burned into my psyche.

No matter, there are lots of other options. One thing I really like to do is take some sort of salad (chicken, tuna, etc.) and pack lettuce leaves on the side and make wraps. Here's a great option:

Asian-Style Mango Chicken Salad Wraps with Peanut Dressing

Salad:
1 1/2 cups diced cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup chopped water chestnuts
1 small carrot, peeled and shredded
1 celery rib, diced
1/2 cup diced apple
1 mango, diced

Dressing:
2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut milk
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
1 tablespoon water
1 teaspoon minced jalapeƱo chile (seeds removed)
1 teaspoon golden brown sugar
1 small shallot, minced (can sub a clove of garlic)

Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
Chopped unsalted peanuts

Combine salad ingredients in a bowl and stir to mix.

Whisk together coconut milk, lime juice, soy sauce, peanut butter, water, jalapeno, brown sugar and shallot.

Spoon the dressing over the salad and mix well.

Pack nuts and lettuce separately. Sprinkle with nuts just before serving.

3 servings


No comments: