Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sometimes the best dinners . . .

We didn't go to the grocery store this week, so we've been making due with what is in the house. Before leaving the office I was thinking about what to make for dinner and was coming up with nothing. I contemplated stopping by the butcher or the store, but didn't want the hassle. So, I went home to rummage. When I walked in the door I remembered that we had several packages of venison in the freezer from one of Big J's coworkers.

The packages weren't labeled well, but I picked one that looked like a loin (although labeled "small roast"). I sliced it in to 1/2" medallions and seared it quickly in a pan with a bit of butter and canola. I placed the medallions on a plate and covered them loosely with foil. To the pan I added minced shallot and sauteed, then added a 1/2 cup of beef broth and a bit of red wine and reduced. When it was down to about a 1/4 cup I took it off the heat and added a bit of butter then spooned it over the medallions.

little j, who has never had venison before, was skeptical, but she tried it out and liked it. Big J thought it was good as well. Paired with orzo, roasted Brussels sprouts, and a nice Merlot, it seemed like fine dining for a Thursday evening.

No comments: