Thursday, April 8, 2010

Homemade Garlic Mayonnaise -- Yum!

I went shopping today for the first time in nearly two weeks; as you can probably imagine we were low on pretty much everything. I was immediately drawn to the first of the season halibut on sale, and "took the bait." (Ha!)

In looking for a recipe I considered grilling, but a thunderstorm was moving in and I wasn't sure how much propane we had left, so I found a recipe for Roasted Halibut with Garlic Sauce. Halibut and garlic? Sign me up!

The only thing I didn't like was that it called for jarred mayonnaise. Now, there's nothing wrong with jarred mayonnaise, but fresh tastes so much better and it doesn't take long at all. Seriously, it takes no more than 5 minutes.

After making the mayo I followed the rest of the recipe and served it with this lovely forbidden rice that I have been longing to try and finally found it on sale today and a broccoli.

There is plenty of leftover mayonnaise which would be great on sandwiches or fries or artichokes. (mmmmm..........artichokes!)

That Girl's Garlic Mayonnaise

2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup canola oil

Mash garlic and salt together in a medium bowel. Mix in mustard and sugar. Whisk in egg yolk. Combine the white wine vinegar and lemon juice and whisk half into the egg yolk mixture.

Whisking vigorously, add a oil to the egg mixture a few drops at the time until it begins to emulsify. Once that occurs, add oil in a slow and steady stream until just half a cup remains. Whisk in the remaining vinegar and lemon juice. Then whisk in the remaining oil in a slow stream.

Note: I use an electric whisk (such as this one) and it works great and cuts the whisking time.

No comments: