Monday, October 5, 2009

Sweet & Spicy Short Ribs

I've been wanting to make this recipe for a while, but summer is not the ideal time for braised beef. With the turn to cooler weather and my relatively easier week (fall break -- no classes to teach!), I thought I would try it out. Also, I've been missing cooking. Since I've started teaching it seems the weeks just fly by with Big J cooking at least two nights a week, if not more. And then nearly two weeks ago we went to Oregon and last week we only made it to the store for milk, coffee, and cream (the essentials!). So, it really has been a while.

Of course I cook nearly every day in some way or another, but it has been a while since I have made a more labor intensive meal. Well, this meal isn't particularly labor intensive, but it takes some prep and it takes time to cook.

I made a few changes to the original, in part because I forgot to grab a couple things from the store, and also based on what I had on hand. I'm pretty happy with the results and little j, whom I thought would be skeptical, really liked it.

Sweet & Spicy Short Ribs

(note: I would make this a bit spicier for non-kids)

Serves 4

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
3 lbs beef short ribs
1 1/2 cups beef stock
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (spicy -- or add some hot sauce)
1/4 cup honey
1 cup crushed pineapple (you can use canned -- I used fresh because I had it on hand)
1/2 cup chopped pineapple
1 onion, quartered
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 tablespoon flour

Preheat oven to 350〫.

Heat the olive oil in a large, oven-proof pan over medium-high heat. Brown short ribs on all sides (you may need to do this in two batches, so as not to crowd the meat). Set ribs aside and drain off excess grease.

While ribs are browning mix next 7 ingredients. Set browned ribs aside and pour sauce into pan scraping any browned bits from the bottom. Add onions and garlic. Then add ribs back in, stirring to coat with sauce.

Place lid on pan and place in oven. Cook for 2 hours. Remove lid and cook for another 30 minutes.

Remove from oven. Take out meat and bones and place in serving bowl, cover with foil to warm. Strain and de-fat juices. In a medium-size saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook two minutes until golden brown. Slowly add sauce while whisking to prevent lumps. Bring to a simmer, whisking occasionally.

Serve with mashed potatoes.

(Note: Leftovers would make an awesome shepherd's pie!)

No comments: