Monday, October 26, 2009

Ants on a Tree

Not to be confused with the ubiquitous "ants on a log," ants on a tree is a yummy concoction of noodles and ground pork. I first heard about this dish on NPR when the cookbook author, Matthew Amster-Burton, talked about his new book, Hungry Monkey. Of course I didn't write anything down at the time and it was a few months before I recalled and all I could remember of the recipe was pork, noodles and soy sauce. Of course I also couldn't find the recipe because I insisted on calling it ants on a log. Clearly celery, peanut butter and raisins is not a complete dinner. So, I just made it up as I went along.

As it turns out, my version, while in no way authentic, is pretty good. And (bonus!) little j will eat it all mixed together. Plus this makes for an awesome week-night meal that is quick, simple, and easy to clean up.

So here it is (if you want the "real" version, there are lots of recipes out there):

Totally Inauthentic Ants on a Tree

1 pound ground pork (can substitute ground turkey, if desired)
1 teaspoon fresh minced ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
1 - 2 teaspoons soy sauce, depending on taste
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
6 - 8 ounces dried whole wheat spaghetti
One bunch scallions, minced (both green and white parts)

Cook spaghetti according to directions. While pasta is cooking, saute pork over medium heat. When pork is nearly done add ginger, garlic, soy sauce and pepper flakes.

Drain pasta and toss with pork mixture. Top with scallions.

Serves 3-4

No comments: