Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Non-Holiday Cooking

It's funny, but I find cooking dinner the week before a major holiday more daunting than the holiday meal itself. We put so much effort into the menu and prepping things days before that other meals seem like a distraction, an afterthought.

This week I tried to put a bit more thought into it and last night's dinner turned out great. Actually, it was the perfect pre-holiday dinner: light, flavorful and quick. In planning, I turned to my standby Epicurious. Big J asked for chicken sandwiches and I wanted something a little different than our grilled chicken, pesto and apple sandwiches. Through a quick search I found Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Goat Cheese.

Although I didn't marinate the chicken overnight, which I can only imagine would have yielded even more flavorful results, the sandwiches were tasty and easy -- perfect for a holiday week. Unlike much of the country, I was able to go outside and grill nearly everything which I think makes a difference. Of course if it is too cold or you have 20 inches of snow putting everything on a broiler pan in the oven would work just as well.

Now I can really concentrate on the holiday meal!

No comments: