Sunday, October 26, 2008

Switching Up Sunday Dinner

We generally have the simply roast chicken on Sundays, but for some reason today I was craving pot roast. I never crave pot roast. In fact, I can't remember the last time I made pot roast, although I do remember when I did make it it was dry.

Not so this time. I've really come to appreciate the benefits of braising and pot roast, made with a chuck roast, is an exceptional piece of beef to braise. The recipe I used, Red Wine Pot Roast with Porcini, was very well done, balanced and flavorful. I think I would have done something a little different with the sauce, but for a first time recipe it was a hit. I served it with mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus.

One note about this recipe: it's not a weeknight dinner, unless you happen to be home during the weekday. It took four hours from start to finish, including side dishes. You could, however, make it in a slow cooker. If you choose that method I would follow the recipe as written until it says to put it in the oven, at that point put every thing in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.

No comments: