Saturday, August 2, 2008

Perfect Warm Weather Dinner

We went to the county fair today, and let me tell you it was HOT! After looking at the animals and fruits and vegetables, including an amazing look inside a beehive, we made our way to the carnival where it was even hotter. I think we drank a gallon of lemonade and two gallons of water. By the time we got home we were wiped out, so a complicated dinner was the first on our to-do list for the evening.

Big J said he wanted shrimp salad. Of course we had neither shrimp nor salad in the house. I went down to Main Street Market which is a great collection of shops including Seafood @ West Main and Feast!. I got some really nice shrimp at the seafood place then walked over to Feast! for a baguette, bottle of wine, local greens, and a pound of local white peaches that smelled so amazing I couldn't pass them up.

On the way home I thought about how to combine everything and decided on peel and eat shrimp with the family cocktail sauce and a grilled peach and arugula salad.

For the salad, I cleaned and placed arugula in a salad bowl, mixed up a vinaigrette of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice, honey and olive oil. I cut the peached into 8ths and spooned a little vinaigrette over the fruit (acid to keep it from browning, olive oil to prevent sticking, and honey to caramelize the sugars) and cooked them on the grill for about 3 minutes per side. The warm peaches mixed with the peppery arugula and acidic dressing was delicious.

We had our shrimp with my family's cocktail sauce recipe. The secret is . . . celery! Here it is:

Cocktail Sauce

1 cup ketchup (I like Whole Foods 365 Organic)
3 tablespoons grated onion
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
juice of one lemon
1 stalk finely minced celery
2 tablespoons minced parsley

Mix all ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, for at least one hour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Your posts always make the simplest things seem so delicious and inviting!