Wednesday, July 2, 2008

When All Else Fails . . .

We love eggs in our house. Lately little j has been on a hard boiled egg kick. I would never turn down a well made soft boiled egg. And Big J had a hard time deciding what his favorite was but finally went with an egg fried over easy.

Tonight when little j and I got home I suggested scrambled eggs and tortillas and she immediately agreed that sounded good. So I scrambled up the remaining eggs that we had from the farmers' market. little j likes hers "fresh" with salt and a tortilla on the side. I like mine on the tortilla with grated cheese, salsa, and a bit of sour cream.

We have eggs about once a week, or perhaps once every other week. I really like eggs as the main component of a dinner. In the summer eggs are particularly great because they are so quick and allow you to get in and out of the kitchen. I thought this would be a good opportunity to share one of our favorite egg dinners. I generally serve with local bread and a simple salad. Also, if you haven't had the pleasure of farm fresh organic eggs I highly recommend them. But be forewarned: Once you taste those farm fresh eggs you'll never be able to go back.

Poached Eggs with Tomatoes and Portabellas

2 Portabella mushrooms, stemmed and cleaned
1 Ripe tomato
2 Eggs
2 Slices fontina cheese
4 - 6 Basil leaves, chopped
Olive oil
Balsamic Vinegar

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Slice tomato creating two thick slices. Brush mushrooms and tomato slices with olive oil and sprinkle lightly with salt. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 10 minutes.

In the meantime, poach the eggs.

Sprinkle the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar. Place the tomato slices on the mushrooms and top with eggs, then fontina slices. Place under the broiler until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Top with basil.

Serves 2.

2 comments:

Crafty Mama said...

Sounds great! My husband and I are always trying to think of new things to do with eggs.

I've started a food blog of my own....the Blue Plate Special. (www.blueplates.blogspot.com) but yours is so much better!

That Girl said...

Thank you! Eggs are great because there are so many possibilities. Loved the photo of your zucchini plants!